Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Resurrection...of all sorts.

As this year's Easter is shortly passed, the resurrection is still on my mind.  While Easter, for Christians, is about the resurrection of Christ, it has prompted me to think of resurrection on a broader scale.
For me, it might be about the resurrection of self...what can I raise myself to for the coming spring, summer, year, decade?  Can I resurrect old or dead relationships?  Can I resurrect the energy I used to have to take care of my body, my mind and soul like I did before I devoted my life to marriage and children?  Bet some of you moms know what I am talking about there:-)

On a smaller and quite less philosophical, but more practical scale...and of course on the craftier side, I have been scouring the house for things to resurrect.  Old knitting projects, crochet projects.  Old craft materials that I can use with my latest ideas.  Old clothing that can be resurrected as something new.

What do you have around the house that you can resurrect into a new life?  Got an old wool sweater?  Throw it in a hot washer, and felt it.  Then you can use up every bit of it!  Cut off the arms, and you have instant fingerless armwarmers.  Use the rest of the body to create a felted pillow...or you can even cut the felted sweater up into flower petal shapes, and create a few felt-flower brooches, or hair pins.

Got an old pillowcase?  Cut off the top opposite the open end, cut the sides a bit angled, and fold over those edges and sew.  Run a ribbon through the two pockets you created to tie bows at the "shoulders" and you have an instant little dress for a toddler, or a cute, billowy top for yourself.

All those stray socks that you cannot find the mates for?  Add some yarn for hair, and some embroidery and you have a few instant hand-puppets for the kids to have hours of endless creative play time.

You see, the possibilities for resurrection are boundless...whether grandiose and philosophical, or small and crafty.  Which will you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment